Checkout our website for prospective students.

Advisement Information

Advisement for the Spring 2019 semester will run October 22-November 2 . All students must be advised before they can register for classes.

Every student must be advised by a faculty member before registering for classes. You can find your advisor's name by going to and login in by clicking on "Sign in to Self Service Carolina (SSC)". Then go to "Student Records", then "View Student Information". Or, you can drop by Student Services.

You can schedule a meeting time with your advisor via EAB Pathfinder, if they use it. If they do not, then email them to set up a time.

DegreeWorks lets you check your progress towards a degree and tells you what classes you need to take in order to graduate. There is also a DegreeWorks tutorial.

You can use our future class offerings schedule to plan your future schedule.

Make sure that you satisfy all the prereqs of the classes that you plan to take. If you don't then Banner will not allow you to sign up for the class. If you believe you don't need the prereqs, discuss it with your advisor. If he or she agrees then you can fill out a Request for Prereq Waiver. If that request is approved then you will be allowed to sign up for the class.

If a class is full by the time you try to sign up for it, fill out our Override Request form (aka "the wait list") and we will try to increase the class size so you can sign up. Similarly, you can submit math class override requests and physics class override requests (look for "Override Request" in their websites).

Deadlines to remember

  1. If you are a second-semester Junior then you should do a Senior/Graduation check at Student Services, to check that you will have all the classes required to graduate.
  2. If you will graduate at the end of this semester then you must turn in your Graduation Application at Student Services.

If you have any questions or problems, please contact our Undergraduate Director Dr. Jose Vidal.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Academic Requirements

Q: Where are the degree requirements?

Q: Can I use MATH 374 instead of MATH 174? or MATH 574?

    A: Yes. If you have already taken MATH 374 or MATH 574 there is no need to take MATH 174/374. They are all Discrete Math. We accept any one of them. To make the substitution official you will need to submit a request for course substitution, which will be approved.

Q: What is the deal with MATH 526 vs MATH 344/L?

    A: MATH 344 (3 credits) plus MATH 344L (1 credit) has replaced the old MATH 526 (4 credits). The current MATH 526 is a bit more advanced than the old one. Thus, current students should take MATH344+MATH344L instead of MATH 526.

Q: Can I take MATH 544 instead of MATH 344?

    A: Yes, but you have to take both MATH 544 (3 credits) as well as either MATH 344L or MATH 544L (each of which is 1 credit). You will also have to fill out a request for course substitution form, asking to substitute MATH 544 for MATH 344. It will be approved.

    Note that MATH 544 has "Prerequisites: C or better in MATH 300, or consent of the Undergraduate Director". So, if you have not taken MATH 300 you will have to ask the Math department for permission.

Q: Do I really have to take MATH 544L? I am an old CE major.

    A: Then maybe not. The CE majors from 2015-16 or earlier had a different Math Elective requirement, see the 2015-16 CE Major requirements. It says:

    Mathematics Elective (3 hours) (CE majors, 2015-16)
    Choose one course from MATH 526, MATH 527, MATH 544 or CSCE 561. Other courses in linear algebra or numerical analysis may be substituted with permission of the department.

    So, if you use an older curriculum you can take one of those your CE Math elective. But, this is not recommended. The old MATH 526 is now MATH344+344L. We recommend you take MATH344+344L.

Q: As a CS major, I need to take all the classes in my cluster, correct?

    A: No. As our CS clusters page states, the graduation requirement for CS majors is to take 9 credit ours of classes in some other major, which we call the application area, and to take 9 credit hours of CSCE 500-level electives. The clusters are optional.

Q: Does class X count as a Liberal Arts elective for my CS or CIS?

    A:The official list is in the Bulletin, under the Degree Requirements for your major..

Q: Can I double-count a course as satisfying both the Liberal Arts requirement and a Carolina Core requirement?

    A: No. No double-counting of any kind is allowed within the majors.

Q: Can I also get the Data Science Minor? What extra classes do I need to take?

    A: Yes. You have to take all the courses required by both your major and the Data Science Minor. Several classes are in both lists. That is fine. Except that:

    CS and CE majors cannot double-count any course as both a Major Elective (aka 500-level elective) and a Data Science minor course. For example, if you take CSCE 587 you can count it towards your Major or towards your minor, but not both.
    CIS majors will have to Petition the department for substitution to CSCE 146 in the Data Science minor, and cannot double-count CSCE 520 or their Major Elective course.

Q: Can I take 492 before 490?

    A: Yes, but it is not recommended and regarded as a really bad idea. If you do you will be placed in a team that has a half-built app. You will then be expected to learn everything about programming for that platform (Android, iOS, Meteor,, etc), git, github, and the existing codebase, and start making code contributions by the end of January. Everyone in 492 must make significant code contributions, as evidenced in their git log, or will fail the class. If you still want to do it, discuss it with your advisor. If your advisor approves then fill out the prereq waiver request form.

Q: I received a D/F in a CSCE class, do I have to take it again? Can I make it better?

    A: Yes, you have to get a C or better grade in every required CSCE course, and in Discrete Math. See your major's degree requirements. Note that USC offers grade forgiveness so when you get a better grade on class the old grade goes away (up to a limit, see link for details).

Q: What happens if I get a second F/D in a CSCE class?

    A: You will be kicked out of the College and, thus, out of your major. The College's Progression Requirements state:

    A student cannot repeat courses from the College of Engineering and Computing in which they earned a grade of C or better. In addition, a student cannot repeat any course from the College a second time. For this purpose, withdrawal from a course with a grade of W is not regarded as enrollment in that course. A student that does not satisfactorily complete a degree-required College course within two attempts must change major or transfer out of the College of Engineering and Computing.

    So, if you are taking a CSCE course for the second time, make sure you get a C or better.

Q: I am doing some research, can I get credit for it?

    A: Yes. If you are working on a research project under a faculty member for this department you can get CSCE 498 credit for it (3 credit hours). To sign up for CSCE 498 you must fill out the Undergraduate Independent Study Contract and then bring it to Student Services. They will sign you up for CSCE 498. Once you pass the class, then you can fill out our request for course substitution form and ask for CSCE 498 to be used as one of your 500-level electives.

Q: I have ENGL 102 in my transcript as a transfer credit. Will that satisfy the Carolina Core INF requirement?

    A: Yes, for everyone graduating December 2017 or later.

Registering for Classes

Q: I already know Java, do I have to take 145/146?

    A: No. USC allows students to obtain Credit by Examination for a course:

    Currently enrolled students may obtain credit by examination in a course in which they have had no class attendance or semester standing; permission must, however, be obtained from the dean of the college or department Chair in which the course is offered. A grade of not less than B on the examination is necessary in order to receive credit for the course. Examinations are not permitted in courses in which a student previously has been enrolled regularly or as an auditor. The applicant must pay to the Office of Financial Services in advance of the examination a fee of $25 per semester hour; this fee is not refundable. The Office of Financial Services will issue a receipt which must be shown to the head of the department conducting the examination, who shall immediately report the results of the examination to the Office of the University Registrar. Credits earned under this regulation are recorded with hours earned only.

    In this department, we regularly award credit by examination for CSCE 145 and CSCE 146. If you are interested in taking the test just contact the professor teaching the class (Dr. Shepherd usually) to schedule the test.

Q: Do I have to take CSCE 215? I live in the command line. I write bash scripts for fun. My other shell is fish.

    A: No. As per the 145/146 question, you can get Credit By Examination for CSCE 215. If you are interested in taking the test just contact the professor teaching the class (Mr. Pat O'Keefe usually) to schedule the test.

Q: How do I get a pre-requisite override for a class in another (non-CSCE) major?

    A: You have to visit the Undergraduate Programs Office (aka Student Services office) for that college to request an override.

    For the Moore Business school, the office is in Room 301 of the Moore School. You can call them at 7-2191. Note that you can take MGSC 390 and 490 concurrently.

Q: I get a "field of study restriction" or a "College Restrictions" when I try to register for a class. Can you help?

    A: If it is a CSCE course then fill out our Override Request Form. We will get you in.

    If it is not a CSCE course (say MGSC, ECON, MGMT, MATH, etc) then you will have to contact the department which teaches that class and try to get them to let you in. Our Override Request Form page shows you how to contact several other departments/Colleges. You can also fill out our Override Request form so that we will know which other departments are giving students trouble. Typically, the problem is that they are only letting in their own majors in the class first and will later open up the class to all majors.

    Note that, it is impossible for the CSE department to override you into a non-CSCE course. Each department at USC can override restrictions for its own courses only, not for classes in other departments.

Q: Where is the Student Services website?

Q: Where is the override/prereq waiver/course substitution form?

Q: Will class X be offered in the Fall/Spring/Summer?

Q: I can't get a hold of my advisor!

    A: Email our undergraduate director, Dr. Vidal, or drop by his office.

Q: I am not happy with my advisor.

    A: Just drop by Student Services and tell them you want a new advisor. They will assign you to someone else.


Q: Which computer should I buy?

    A: Pretty much any laptop would be fine. We use intelliJ in our Freshmen year programming classes. It runs perfectly on Windows, Mac, and Linux machines. We make sure that all the software students need to use is available for free on the major platforms. We highly recommend students get a laptop, instead of a desktop. USC has free wifi all over campus, inside and outside buildings. A laptop makes it much easier for a student to get help from a teacher, to work in groups with other students, etc.

    The College also has computer recommendations.

Q: Does USC offer student discounts or free copies of software such as Microsoft Windows, Office, VMWare, etc?

Q: I have to take 15 credit hours or more every semester to keep my Life scholarship or Palmetto Fellows, right?

    A: No. The Life Scholarship Guidelines state that (same as the Palmetto Fellows)

    You must earn an average of 30 credit hours for each academic year (Fall, Spring, Summer) equaling a minimum of 30 credit hours if a rising second year student, 60 credit hours if a rising third year student, or 90 credit hours if a rising fourth year student.

    Any credit hours earned before high school graduation, hours exempted by examination, and advanced placement credit approved by the institution as academic credit will be used toward the credit hour requirement;

    So, this means that you can

    • take more than 15 one semester and then take fewer the next, or
    • take a Summer class to catch up on credits, or
    • use those AP credits instead of classes. Your AP credits will count towards your first-year 30-credits.

    For more information, see the SC State Scholarships page.

Q: How do I change my major?