No. USC allows students to obtain Credit by Examination for a course:

Currently enrolled students may obtain credit by examination in a course in which they have had no class attendance or semester standing; permission must, however, be obtained from the dean of the college or department Chair in which the course is offered. A grade of not less than B on the examination is necessary in order to receive credit for the course. Examinations are not permitted in courses in which a student previously has been enrolled regularly or as an auditor. The applicant must pay to the Office of Financial Services in advance of the examination a fee of $25 per semester hour; this fee is not refundable. The Office of Financial Services will issue a receipt which must be shown to the head of the department conducting the examination, who shall immediately report the results of the examination to the Office of the University Registrar. Credits earned under this regulation are recorded with hours earned only.

In this department we regularly award credit by examination for CSCE 145 and CSCE 146. If you are interested in taking the test just contact the professor teaching the class (Dr. Shepherd usually) to schedule the test.

Updated: 07/28/2023