The University of South Carolina’s Honors and Awards Commission is accepting applications for the Outstanding Senior awards.
Students selected to receive an Outstanding Senior award will also be considered for the university’s top two undergraduate honors – the Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award and Steven N. Swanger Leadership Award.
Outstanding Senior recipients will be recognized March 29 at 3 p.m. in the Russell House Ballroom. The Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award and the Steven N. Swanger Leadership Award will be presented at the annual University Awards Day, which will be held April 19, 2018, at 2 p.m. on the historic Horseshoe. (Rain location is the Russell House Ballroom.) Recipients will be notified prior to these ceremonies.
Students who receive the university’s Outstanding Senior award have demonstrated major achievement in the categories of service, leadership, academics and research.
Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award
The Sullivan is the university’s highest honor student honor and is presented each year to one graduating female and one graduating male for outstanding achievements, campus leadership, exemplary character and service to the community. The award, given at 15 colleges and universities across the country, is named for the 19th-century New York lawyer and philanthropist.
The Steven N. Swanger Leadership Award
The university’s second-highest undergraduate honor, the Steven N. Swanger Leadership Award, is named for a former president of Omicron Delta Kappa (ODK), which co-sponsors the university’s Awards Day. It is given to a graduating senior for exemplary leadership and for making significant contributions to the Carolina community.
Students must meet the following criteria in order to be considered for senior awards:
- Must graduate from an undergraduate degree program at USC Columbia between January 1, 2018, and December 31, 2018.
- Must have completed at least 75 academic credit hours.
- Must exemplify scholarship, involvement, citizenship and leadership in academic and co-curricular activities.
- Must submit all information in this online application only and electronically sign the honor statement.
- Students who have requested a privacy indicator on their records must sign the waiver to release award information.