We congratulate the following graduate students for receiving recognition for their outstanding work. Aspen Olmsted, was named Outstanding Graduate Researcher, Computer Science & Engineering. James O'Reilly was named Outstanding Teaching Assistant, Computer Science & Engineering. They will be listed in the Graduate Student Day Awards Ceremony bulletin.
You are here
We are pleased to announce that one of our undergraduate students, Connor Bain, has received a Goldwater Scholarship. The Goldwater Scholarship is awarded nationally to sophomores and juniors pursuing bachelors’ degrees in natural sciences, mathematics, or engineering and who intend to pursue a career in research and/or college-level teaching. Connor has been active in the ARENA. You can read the official announcement.
Dr. Jenay Beer has received a grant from the U.S. Department of Education and Georgia Tech for her project on "Telerobotics Research". The goal of this research is to understand how robots can help older adults with disabilities. The proposed robots work like "Skype on wheels" allowing a person to remain connected with his friends and family.
The Code-A-Thon was a great success by all accounts! Great projects and great participation. There were 12 teams that entered, so competition was stiff, and the winners were:
- 1st Place: Muhammad Nazmus Sakib, Hossen Mustafa, Junaed Bin Halim, and Daniel Pade for their app to do Personal Scheduling.
- 2nd Place: Sujan Pakala, Lingxi Zhou, Yang Song, and Jie Huang for their website on Shopping for Groceries Economically.
- 3rd Place: Daniel Vu, Tyler Wagner, and Mathew Velasquez for their app on Searching for Items You Own.
Congratulations to all entrants!! And special thanks to Barb Ulrich, Randi Baldwin, Ronni Wilkinson, Dr. Tang, and Sherri Altizer for the logistics, and to Boeing IT for their generous sponsorship.
We are proud to announce the following winners of the CSE Annual Undergraduate Awards:
- The award of Outstanding Senior in Computer Information Systems goes to Gergely A. Uszkay.
- The award of Outstanding Senior in Computer Science goes to Logan M. Hood.
- The award of Outstanding Senior in Computer Engineering goes to Jonathan L. Kilby.
- The South Carolina Professional Engineers' Award in Computer Engineering goes to Maximus R. Brandel.
We would like to congratulate three of our undergraduate students for winning Magellan awards. They are Jilbert Ogunji for his project titled "Cost Effective Method of Validating and Improving Computationally Modeled Protein Structures", Jared William Piedt for his project "Gamecock Mobile: Increasing Student Productivity Through Mobile Applications.", and Earron Twitty for "Development of an Integrated Software Package for Analysis of Structure and Dynamics of Biomolecules from RDC Data."
We are proud to announce that Dr. Duncan Buell has been named a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). This is one of the highest honors awarded to any scientist. It is bestowed upon AAAS members who have made scientifically or socially distinguished efforts to advance science or its applications.
We would like to congratulate Tamara Nicole Richardo Nurse, Shannon Hood, Ming Wong, and Michael T. Brunson, II for being chosen to join the IEEE-Eta Kappa Nu Honor Society.