We would like to congratulate Dr. Qiang Zeng for acquiring a National Science Foundation (NSF) research award for his project titled "Towards Understanding and Handling Problems Due to Coexistence of Multiple IoT Platforms."
You are here
This year the students in the Senior Capstone course developed 40 apps either for industrial clients, for USC members, or for themselves. There were:
- 11 web applications using technologies such as Django, node, express, Angular, react, Vue, firebase, AWS.
- 21 mobile apps using Android, XCode, iOnic, react native, firebase.
- 8 desktop apps using technologies such as Unity and .NET C#.
You can watch video demos and see screenshots of all the apps right now!
If you are interested in having students build an app for you, note that we are looking for clients for next year.
Dr. Chin-Tser Huang has been selected as a recipient of the 2021 Distinguished Research Service Award. The Office of the Vice President for Research created this award in 2018 to recognize faculty throughout the UofSC system who have demonstrated exceptional commitment to UofSC’s research community through service as a reviewer and committee member for UofSC’s internal funding and awards programs.
- Timothy Dayne Hooks and Hem Regmi won the Best Poster Award for their research on "VisualMM: Visual Data & Learning Aided 5G Picocell Placement".
- Hem Regmi and Moh Sabbir Saadat won the Best Poster Runner-up Award for their work on "ZigZagCam: Pushing the Limits of Hand-held Millimeter-Wave Imaging.
Each year the Faculty of the Department of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) award four Outstanding Senior Awards. This process is never easy given the many excellent and accomplished students in our program. This year, we have decided that the 2021 Computer Science and Engineering Outstanding Senior Awards go to:
- Hunter Damron: Computer Science Outstanding Senior Award.
- Warren Beagle: Computer Information Systems Outstanding Senior Award.
- James Johnson: Computer Engineering Outstanding Senior Award.
- Niharika Pandala. Computer Engineering SCSPE Award.
All awardees will be honored at the University Awards Day ceremony. In addition, Pandala will be honored at a special awards banquet of the South Carolina Society of Professional Engineers
We congratulate the following Computer Science undergraduate students for receiving a Magellan Scholar Award for Spring 2021.
- Griffin Carter : Investigating the Effects of Nanoparticle Delivery to Myoblasts on Differentiation into Myotubes
- Praful Chunchu : Real-time Patient Monitoring on Wearable Devices Using Neuromorphic Computing
- Hunter Damron : Enumerating Symmetrical Domino Tilings
- Matthew Duggan : Concluding Successful Nesting of Limosa limosa with Geolocation Data
- Timothy Hooks: Visual Data Augmented 5G Millimeter-Wave Picocell Placement
- Anne Tumlin : Information Routing with Ocean Sensor Nodes
"AI researchers like me are now turning our efforts toward developing AI algorithms that can explain themselves in a manner that humans can understand. If we can do this, I believe that AI will be able to uncover and teach people new facts about the world that have not yet been discovered, leading to new innovations." Read the full article at The Conversation, written by Dr. Agostinelli.
Dr. Amit Sheth has been named one of the 2020 ACM Fellows. The ACM Fellows program recognizes the top 1% of ACM Members for their outstanding accomplishments in computing and information technology and/or outstanding service to ACM and the larger computing community. Fellows are nominated by their peers, with nominations reviewed by a distinguished selection committee.